Summer is officially here, and we're celebrating the season's warm weather, lack of school, and general laid-back attitude. Now that we've reached the midpoint for the year, check out LilSugar's fun finds for the month, including a fun new cookbook, a cute bathing suit ensemble, and a fun way to celebrate National Ice Cream month! Have fun!
There's no need to fight your lil one for computer time if they have the new Little Tikes Young Explorer computer at their fingertips. The company that brought us the Cozy Coupe may be best known for its large, virtually indestructible outdoor toys, but is entering the kiddie tech area with a furniture-computer combo piece designed to introduce tots to technology.
With an estimated 16 million US children between the ages of two and 11 went online just in the month of May last year, it is no surprise that the company is focusing attention on preschool computer users. The Young Explorer seats two tots, has both left- and right-handed mousepads built in and comes equipped with Microsoft Windows. At $2,600, the piece is more likely to be found in a preschool, than an individual's home, but tell us, would you even want one at home?
Before they are able to walk, children look for their first set of wheels. Many kids' vehicle of choice in the past 30 years has been the Little Tikes Cozy Coupe ($75). First introduced in 1979, the candy apple red and sunshine yellow sports car hasn't changed much in those three decades. While the exterior has slowly evolved into a cartoon-faced front grill, the interior has retained its bench-style seat and easy-to-maneuver steering wheel. In this age of earth-friendly automobiles, the car remains powered by lil ones' feet. The simple style and classic look of the coach has made the Cozy Coupe the most popular car in America – selling 457,000 units in 2008 and beating out all other US car sales (including Toyota, Honda and Ford).
Take a look at the Cozy Coupe's evolution and tell us which model you or your children made memories in.
One-year-olds are on the move! Whether they are already walking or on the verge, their increased confidence makes them inquisitive of the world around them. When shopping for gifts for tots seek out toys that help them explore their surroundings. Here our some of our favorite picks!
- A wooden pull along toy like the Quack Pack Pull Along Toy from Apple Pie that wiggles as the toddler pulls it on its way.
- A five-in-one activity cube like the Busy Body Cube from BabyStyle, which features mazes, beads, magnets, clocks and puzzles to keep lil ones entertained for at least a few minutes!
- The LeapFrog Fridge DJ introduces numbers, letters and popular children's songs while displaying the characters on its screen. Best of all, it attaches to any magnetic surface, so it can entertain babes while their parents complete kitchen tasks.
- Melissa and Doug's line of large knobbed puzzles are a great introduction to puzzles and can help lil ones stay put for a few minutes at a time.
- Bring out the athlete in your toddler with the Little Tikes Little Champs Sports Center. The perfectly sized basketball hoop is a great way to introduce a variety of sports.
- Push toys encourage tikes of all walking abilities to get up and go, which is why I love this BabyStyle Wooden Jeep. Made of natural rubber wood and featuring rugged tires, the car can be used inside and out.
As summer heats up, moms are challenged to entertain their school–free tots with activities that will keep them cool and hydrated. It's hard to beat the good old sprinkler in the lawn trick but the $15 Little Tikes Water Ball certainly gives it a run for its money.
While mom or dad inflate the mongo beach ball, the kids can slip on their swimsuits and watershoes preparing for an afternoon of spritzing and slippery wet games. Attach a water hose to the fully blown ball and let the waterworks begin. Parents can determine the height of the fountain sprays by adjusting the water pressure.
Now mom really can sit and relax with her lemonade in the shade.
It's Summer so get your kids outside! Our friends at Little Tikes are giving one lucky lilsugar reader five items to turn their backyard into a playground. The winner will receive the 6-in-2 Town Center Playhouse ($400), a Cozy Coupe II ($50), a Sand & Water Fun Factory ($60), a Fold Away Playground ($100), and a Slide and Fish Frenzy Pool ($50).
To enter, YOU MUST LOG IN and take the quiz below. Your eligibility is not based on getting the answers correct, just by completing the quiz once you are logged in. You do, however, need to be a TeamSugar member and log in before you take the quiz. If you're not already a member, just register here for an account. One quiz entry per person; all repeat quizzes will be ignored.
The contest is open to US residents only and ends on July 7, 2008 at 11:59pm PDT. For Official Rules click here.