April 28 is National Superhero Day! My 21-month-old recently began calling herself "Super Mae," and while I'm not sure I should be encouraging her dreams to fly through the skies and walk through walls in the long term, for now, I'm quite happy to cheer on her new identity. If you have a budding super-little-man or -little-woman on your hands, too, get them in the hero game with one of the following 16 superhero finds for kids. From design-your-own capes and awesome wall art to stuffed hero toys, these finds will help your kids become super in no time.
If you've got a mini superhero on your hands, you might as well join in on the fun and make sure they're outfitted properly. Thanks to everything from crime-fighting backpacks to bloomers, your little one's transformation from kid to superhero can take place in no time. Click through for playful pieces that put the zap!, pow!, and zam! into daily life.
This Friday, Christian Bale brings his suited-up good looks back to the big screen as Batman in The Dark Knight Rises, and we got a taste of the dashing dark knight at the film's premiere last night. And what's better than one supersexy superhero? A whole crop of them! 2012 is turning out to be superpowered hot-actor overload with Andrew Garfield showing off his spidey skills — and shirtless bod — as the star of recently released The Amazing Spider-Man, and earlier in the year with The Avengers' cast of steamy Chris Evans as Captain America, Robert Downey Jr. as Iron Man, and a bulked-up Chris Hemsworth as Thor. I'm all for the superheroines, but when it comes to all these swoon-worthy superheroes, sign me up for the damsel in distress role! To get in the superhero spirit, let's look at the most smoldering caped crusaders to grace the big screen with their big guns.
Now that Comic-Con is officially less than one month away — July 12 to 15 — all things comic book, cosplay, and superheroes are on our mind. While the convention is a mix of Hollywood blockbusters, panels with creators of cult sci-fi classics, and the opportunity to mingle with graphic-novel artists, it's also the chance to show off superpower-inspired costumes.
While devoted fans from all over the world prep for the big weekend in San Diego, CA, we want to know one thing: who's your favorite superhero of all time?
It's been all about the superheros this Summer, as Superman, Captain America, the Green Lantern, X-Men, and Spider-Man continue to hit the big screen. But saving the planet from villains is overrated; the superpowers that would really be useful would help a gal navigate the tricky dating and relationship world. So I asked our Facebook fans what relationship superpower they wish they had, and you all had some fantastic ideas. Here are our 10 most-wanted love and sex superpowers.
- Issue Detector: The ability to see a guy's issues written on his forehead. Oh, I see you have mom issues — pass.
- Selective Telepathy: Reading a guy's mind at will — wouldn't it be nice to know what's going on in there once in a while? But I'm sure it could get boring if it was 24/7.
- Eternal Love Magic: You'd never get bored if the honeymoon phase of your relationship lasted forever!
- BS Detector: This could save you from going on that second date with a guy dishing out the lies. So "real estate broker" is your way of describing "unemployed"?
- Killer Looks: Dealing with a jerk? Use your dangerously good looks to blast him out of your life. Pow!
- Relationship Hindsight Vision: If you saw into the future of your relationship before it began, you could move on before getting attached.
- Language Decoder: Sometimes men can be of little words. This would help you decipher what he means!
- Sexy Skills: Lovemaking that's a 10 out of 10 all the time sounds like a great superpower! It'd probably give you super strength as well.
- Breakup Force Shield: This force shield would block you from the hurt, anger, and sadness of a bad breakup, reflecting the pain onto your ex. Kabam!
- Magnetic Attraction: Having trouble getting a date? Use this power to attract potential suitors.
Any more to add?
It seems like Summer is the season to bust out the comic-book and graphic-novel heroes and bring them to life on the silver screen. From the Green Lantern to X-Men, there's plenty of superpower to go around. We asked you on Facebook to tell us what kind of superpower you'd want if you were a comic-book legend, so click through to see your faves, and learn about a few characters that share your interests.
Holy laces Batman! Jayden James Federline showed off some funky shoe laces when his mama picked him up from school yesterday. Despite the Southern California heat wave, Britney Spears's youngest son was wearing Crewcuts' classic Fall MacAlister boots ($118), substituting a bright yellow pair of laces for the traditional tan ones. The superhero-loving tyke joins a long line of celeb tots who are fans of the caped crusaders! Want to steal the look? Click on the pictures above!
I'm betting that every kid — boy or girl — wanted to be a superhero at some point in their childhood. Me? I wanted to be just like She-Ra, Princess of Power (and even dressed like her one year for Halloween!). Of course, most recently, the movie Kick-Ass proved just how far people will go to be a hero, but taking things a step farther is the Real Life Super Hero Project — a collection of normal, everyday people who take on an alternate superhero persona in hopes of inspiring others.
None of these superheroes have actual superpowers, but they all do amazing things — like volunteer their time to talk to children about the importance of hope, tolerance, and civility, help the homeless, create neighborhood patrols to keep crime at bay, and form community outreach programs for those in need. You don't need the power of flight or X-ray vision to change the world, and these heroes are proving it. Find out why these heroes exist (in their own words) in the video after the jump.
Who doesn't want to be a superhero? Many kids (and adults) have an affection for characters with awesome powers. Tots like to impersonate the heroes by reenacting their scenes and reciting taglines. Take this quiz and see how much you know about your child's favorites.