When people say that breastfeeding saves money, they're talking dollars not cents.
When people say that breastfeeding saves money, they're talking dollars not cents. Since the milk is manufactured by a mother's body, nursing a newborn is nutritious and free. Though breast milk is called liquid gold
, it seems like it'd be a more appropriate term for formula once you run the figures on popular brands. On average, one ounce of the powder (which makes two ounces of fluid) costs about a buck with organic and conventional formulas at similar price points. Check out these numbers
- Similac Advance w/ Early Shield Powder Formula — 23.2 oz. ($22.49) = $0.97 per ounce
- Enfamil Premium Powder — 23.4 oz ($24.99) = $1.06 per ounce
- Earth's Best Milk Based Formula Organic Infant Formula Dairy w/DHA — 25.75 oz ($27.99) = $1.08 per ounce
- Good Start Gentle Plus Powder — 25.7 oz ($26.49) = $1.03 per ounce
- Bright Beginnings Milk-Based Organic Infant Formula — 25.75 can ($24.99) = $0.97 per ounce
- Vermont Organics DHA Soy Based Organic Infant Formula — 25.7 oz can ($24.99) = $0.97 per ounce
Caring for baby can cost a bundle! Check out all our It Adds Up! coverage.