- 1 medium onion, finely chopped
- 2 jalapenos, seeded and finely chopped
- 1 teaspoon canola oil
- 3 medium sized garlic cloves, minced
- 3 Tablespoons chili powder
- 2 teaspoons ground cumin
- 3 teaspoons sugar
- 1 15oz can tomato sauce
- 1 cup water
- 1 lb boneless, skinless chicken breasts
- 2 cups extra sharp white cheddar, shredded
- 1/2 cup cilantro, minced, plus more for sprinkling on top
- 12 6" corn tortillas
- cooking spray
- salt and pepper
- Preheat oven to 450 degrees.
- Combine onion, jalapeno, 1/2 teaspoon salt, and oil in a large saucepan with a tight fitting lid. Cover and cook on medium low heat for 8-10 minutes, stirring occasionally. Stir in garlic, chili powder, cumin, and sugar; cook 30 seconds. Stir in tomato sauce and water. Simmer 5 minutes, uncovered.
- Nestle chicken breasts in sauce, reduce heat to low and cover. Cook until chicken reaches an internal temperature of 160 degrees, about 12-20 minutes. (This will vary depending on the thickness of your chicken and the temperature of your simmer.) Remove chicken from sauce and set aside.
- Using a fine mesh strainer, strain sauce into a medium bowl, pressing with the back of a spoon to remove all liquid. Place solids left in the strainer into a large bowl. Season sauce with salt and pepper.
- Shred chicken with two forks. Add it to the large bowl with the solids from the strainer, along with 1/4 cup sauce from the other bowl.
- Add 1 cup cheese and cilantro to the chicken mixture. Toss well to combine.
- Wrap tortillas in plastic wrap and microwave for 30-45 seconds. Spread tortillas out on a clean work surface and spoon 1/3 cup chicken mixture down the center of each. Roll up and place seam side down in a greased 9x11 baking dish. Lightly spray with cooking spray. Bake uncovered for 5-7 minutes to make tortillas crunchy.
- Remove from oven and reduce heat to 400 degrees. Pour sauce evenly over enchiladas and sprinkle with remaining cheese. Cover with aluminum foil and bake 20 minutes. Remove foil and bake 5 more minutes, until cheese is melted. Let stand for 10 minutes before serving.
For more great recipes, check out our Top 25 Foodie Moms.