Three million US children have food allergies leading to over 300,000 ambulatory-care visits a year. The first line of defense against full anaphylactic shock is often an EpiPen – an inject-able that reverses the reaction's symptoms almost immediately. With more kids carrying the prescription pens than ever, take this quiz to test your knowledge!Take the Quiz
I have a friend who is allergic to peanuts, so she carries an EpiPen wherever she goes. When people catch a glimpse of the injection, it prompts inevitable Pulp Fiction jokes, but there's nothing fun about having to use an EpiPen.
Commonly known by its brand name, this epinephrine autoinjection is used to treat anaphylaxis, a sudden and severe allergic reaction that can be life-threatening. Certain foods, such as eggs and peanuts, can cause an anaphylactic reaction, as can bee stings and certain medications, particularly penicillin. Symptoms of anaphylaxis include hives, swelling, and itching that gives way to shortness of breath, chest tightness, and increased or irregular heartbeat.
If your child has a severe food allergy, then you are probably all too familiar with the EpiPen. An EpiPen is an auto injector that administers epinephrine. Epinephrine is the definitive emergency treatment for severe allergic reactions.
My sister has to carry one wherever she goes for fear my niece will ingest a peanut or even touch one, causing her to have an anaphylactic reaction. There's one in her classroom, car, and at my mother's house. When I saw these EpiPen Pouches ($35), I told my sister she had to get one. They protect the EpiPen and make it easy to find in a mad rush. When your child is having trouble breathing, the last thing you need to worry about is fumbling around your purse for something that feels like a marker. Hopefully, you'll never have to use one!