And they're off! Once the alarm clock rings, many moms feel like they're running the race of their life as they try to get their lil ones, and themselves, out the door and into school before the bell rings. Add a child who is dragging her feet and a missing permission slip to the mix and the whole day can be thrown off. While organizational experts tell us that preparing the night before will make for smooth sailing in the morning, a few time-tested tricks will help you out the door every day.
Studies show that babies who are read to and sung to at an early age will demonstrate higher reading skills than other children. While many parents don't think a newborn is paying attention to the texts in their early days, getting them into a routine of reading will be worth the time spent in their infancy. These are 10 books every newborn nursery should have on the shelves.
Moms-to-be have bookshelves filled with pregnancy books that tell them everything they need to know about their pregnancies. But how much of that information do you retain? From conception to birth, a pregnancy is filled with constant changes, both for the mother and the baby. How well do you know your fetal development? Take these quizzes to test your knowledge!
Which Trimester, Part 1
Which Trimester, Part 2
Which Trimester, Part 3
Bring on the patriotic pride this weekend! While mom and dad get the grill ready for a season of old-fashioned barbecues, lil ones can join in the festive spirit with some red, white, and blue treats that will excite children of any age. From cakes and cookies to popsicles and drinks, these all-American sweets will add some sparkle to your holiday menu!
T minus one week until Memorial Day! The day is not only the unofficial start of Summer, it's the first day of grilling season. Families across the country are moving their meals outside and looking for grill marks on their favorite fare. Some of our favorite tot food bloggers and chefs have shared their favorite patty recipes as part of our National Burger Month celebration, and now we're sharing a few of our own! Check out these kid-tested and mom-approved burger recipes and feel free to share your own in The Children's Table group over in the LilSugar Community!
Blocks are a basic toy, but the wooden, cardboard or fabric cubes can inspire a love of learning for little ones. Kids use them to count, to read, to learn. The toy box staple also allows them to design, construct and work with their hands. Check out these five sets that will get your child building.
When the pediatrician rattles off my son's weight and length stats, I typically have no idea where he falls on the growth chart. Concerned about the rest of the visit, I usually wait until I get home to plot his numbers on the map to see his percentiles. Do you know where your child is on the spectrum?
This year St. Patrick's Day falls on a Wednesday, which means your family will be rushing through the school and work week and lucky if you remember to wear green tees (seriously, don't forget that kids pinch!). If you're too busy chasing a pot of gold to make a whole St. Patty's Day spread, add a little semi-homemade green treat first thing in the morning with healthy muffins decked out with a pinch of green.
These tiny morsels can be made the day or night before and are healthy enough you'll feel OK serving them at the top of the morning for breakfast. I chose a mix and decorated them in advance with my tots. For the recipe and suggestions, read more
Smartphones offer apps to map everything from pregnancy weeks, to contractions, to medical records. If you don't want to spend on fancy features you will rarely use, simple countdown apps are a free and efficient way to keep track of time — whether you're marking days until the stork is supposed to land, your next moms' night out, or the new year. Discover the download on our favorite apps for popular devices.
- We spoke with the one and only Dr. Oz about everything from BPA and fast food to a newborn's first month of life.
- Already starting your holiday shopping? We've got the best gifts for babies, 1- and 2-year-olds so far!
- Marcus Samuelsson creates a Veggie Pita Sandwich for us to shake up the lunch box.
- Does sex etiquette change once there's a baby in the house?
- Annabel Karmel demonstrates how to make a fish puree that'll boost lil one's brain power!
- These are a few of our favorite things this month!
- We spoke with Jessica Seinfeld about her new book and why veggie purees work.
- Weelicious's Catherine McCord discussed the importance of being honest with kids about their food.
- 9 by Design's Novogratz family created a children's holiday table for us – and it's easy to re-create at home!
- There won't be any crumbs with these breakfast in bed recipes for kids!
- Create the ultimate Halloween dessert table with these tips from Amy Atlas!
- Do you believe in Halloween superstitions?
- A milk and cookies first birthday party is awfully sweet!
- Start primping! We've got an inside look at what it takes to win the Gap Casting Call.
- Visiting the library this weekend? Check out these adorable picture books.
- We spoke with one of our favorite celebrity moms – Julianne Moore.
- Do your tots know how to use a traditional phone? Many don't!
- Who are parent-teacher conferences really about?
- What do you know about the EpiPen?
- Gavin Rossdale takes a pass when it comes to diaper duty!
A lil one's room is more than just a bedroom. It's a playroom, a place to sleep, and a room to read. Before kids are born, moms spend hours picking out the perfect crib and decor. When the child is ready to move into a bed, it's time to revamp. Our LilSugar Community members are proud of the rooms they've created so it's time to show them off!
Aidan’s Not-so-Kiddie Pad
A New Lair For Wild Max
Office Turned Whimsical Nursery
From Storage Room/Office to Nursery
Isabel's Elegant Black, White, and Pink Nursery
Guest Bedroom Into Nursery
- These new mod cribs left us drooling!
- Should fast food be compared to giving your kids drugs?
- An exclusive inside look at the Gap Casting Call, including tips for entering!
- Tell us about your labor and delivery experience.
- Annabel Karmel is back with tips on doling out the perfect portion for your tot.
- Is your toddler online yet?
- Help win the fight against breast cancer with these iPhone apps.
- When did your biological clock start ticking?
- Mail call! These magazine subscriptions will get tots turning pages.
- What's your favorite apple recipe?
Mommy Dearest —
Over the past few years, we have become friendly with some of our son's classmates' parents, often going out with them without the children. Last week my son and one of his friends had a pretty large disagreement — reducing both to tears and leaving them both vowing to never speak to the other again. We've resolved the actual issue between the kids, but the children still aren't speaking and now the child's parents seem to be avoiding us. Do I have to say goodbye to my friends just because our children aren't getting along?
— Stuck in the Middle Mama
To see Mommy Dearest's response, read more
- Going to see Waiting For Superman this weekend? Read this first!
- Droolworthy baby products that are only sold overseas.
- Guess the tattooed Hollywood mama.
- We spoke with the man behind SIXX Design — Bob Novogratz!
- City mouse, country mouse: Which is safer for raising kids?
- Oh la la! Beautiful Parisian-inspired nurseries!
- Annabel Karmel shared yummy lunch box recipes with us!
- How do hereditary conditions affect baby-making decisions?
- Sarah Jessica Parker's twins have a thing for shoes!
- More postpartum body surprises in store for new moms!
Holy laces Batman! Jayden James Federline showed off some funky shoe laces when his mama picked him up from school yesterday. Despite the Southern California heat wave, Britney Spears's youngest son was wearing Crewcuts' classic Fall MacAlister boots ($118), substituting a bright yellow pair of laces for the traditional tan ones. The superhero-loving tyke joins a long line of celeb tots who are fans of the caped crusaders! Want to steal the look? Click on the pictures above!
Taking the sting out of a spill has become stylish! Lil ones have a thing for bandages even when they don't have a bump or bruise to show for it. Check out these adhesives that allow tots to bask in the attention a scraped knee brings.
Clockwise from top left: Cupcake bandages ($4), Sweet Treats Adhesive Bandages ($7), Boo Boo Kisses ($4), Medibuddy ($3), Bacon Strips ($4), Cynthia Rowley Band Aids ($10), Hello Kitty ($4), Pirate Bandages ($4).
Plenty of celeb mamas have great careers and some permanent ink. Many of the women added to their existing body art once they had a baby. Take a look at these tattoos and see if you can guess which mama bares it.
Motherhood is the most important job in the world. And like any job, it comes with a never-ending list of responsibilities. While some mamas revel in every meal they make and diaper they change, others would gladly pass up such chores in favor of other activities. In my case, I'd happily turn over my laundry and bottle washing duties, if someone were to offer and would never miss them.
If you could remove one of your motherly responsibilities from your day, what would it be?