Tonight NBC will premiere Ready For Love, the latest twist on reality-TV dating. Instead of just one bachelor, three men will meet 12 women, each handpicked for them by professional matchmakers. This new show, along with stalwarts The Bachelor and The Bachelorette, may fill our dating show quota these days, but there's a long history of TV shows about the crazy world of dating. Whether you loved watching reruns of the Love Connection or you still wish Jenny McCarthy was hosting Singled Out, click through to check out how the wonderful world of TV dating shows has evolved from game shows to reality TV over the last 40-plus years!
Thanksgiving is a holiday full of lots of family and friend time. With everyone's significant others around the table, you may have a moment or two where you're feeling a little bit of lack, or even lonely. When the question comes up, and it certainly will if you've got a family like mine, take a breather and give yourself a quick reminder. There are so many reasons to be grateful for the place that you're in today, regardless of whether you've got a beau on your arm or not. Here are five things to remember, and get grateful for, this Thanksgiving.
- Quality time with your people. It can be a little bit of a battle to figure out where the two of you will spend Thanksgiving. Instead of stressing about splitting the time evenly, all you have to worry about is spending quality time with your family and friends.
- Holiday movie marathons. While the Christmas movies are starting to pop up on TV, you know that Thanksgiving kicks off the endless supply of full-blown holiday movie marathons. No need to worry about missing back-to-back showings of A Christmas Story and Miracle on 34th Street while the boys are watching what seems like an endless supply of football.
- Pure freedom. You are the center of your world right now. You've got the privilege of coming and going as you please. There's plenty of time to consider someone else in your future, but right now focus on the abundance of options you have in your life today.
- Skip the drama, mama. No need to stress about your fam not getting along with your boyfriend, or not so secretly cringing when your brother embarrasses you in front of everyone. The only thing you've got to be worried about this holiday is getting first dibs on your favorite Thanksgiving foods.
- No settling for this girl! There's a reason you're not in a relationship right now, and it's because you're not looking for anyone, you're looking for the right person. You are awesome enough to recognize that. And that's something to be grateful for.
With Thanksgiving underway, you may be bugging about all of the family-filled time about to ensue. Maybe your significant other has spent lots of time with your family in the past, or maybe this is his very first time hanging with everyone. Whether you're nervous, excited, or feeling a little ambivalent at this point, here are five reminders of why you should count your blessings that you're in a solid relationship.
- Quality time together. Holiday time off means you get to spend much-needed quality time together. No need to stress about the regular grind of the workweek. The two of you will have a shot to relax and enjoy each other.
- Tighten your bond. Meeting the family translates to things getting real. Spending the holidays together will only solidify the foundation of your relationship.
- Partner in crime. Since you're not flying solo, you won't need to worry about getting bored! Having your significant other at family holiday functions will only help keep you entertained (and get you out of those obligatory events you just can't handle.)
- Connecting faces to names. Maybe he's been talking about his crazy aunt and uncle for years, but you never were able to put the whole picture together. This holiday is a perfect opportunity to understand the whole landscape of his family situation.
- Help with the small talk. If you've got a family full of chatterboxes, the holidays can definitely be fun, but slightly exhausting. With your significant other by your side, you'll be able to share the load of the questions and conversation.
Why are you grateful you're in a relationship this Thanksgiving? Share your thoughts below!
Thanksgiving can be one beautiful holiday, but depending on your situation, it can also be a lot of condensed family-filled time. Since your family is obviously interested in your life and what you've been up to, lots of questions are bound to pop up. Some will be easy to answer, but others you may not be comfortable with. In order to make your Thanksgiving as smooth and painless as possible, read through these five easy tips to help you set healthy boundaries before you set the table.
- Tune into your feelings. Start getting comfortable with tuning into yourself and what makes you tick. If someone says something or is acting in a way that makes you feel uneasy, that's a cue that they're crossing a boundary.
- Give yourself permission. This seems pretty straightforward, but for many this is the hardest tip to master. In order to set boundaries with your family or friends, you've got to know that you and your emotions are worth the extra effort. Maybe you've been brushing things off for years, but once you give yourself permission (even though it might not be the easiest thing to do) you can start setting healthy boundaries for the future.
- Be direct. Don't circle it. If there's a question or topic of conversation coming up that makes you uncomfortable, be direct about how you feel. Even if your mom always has a comment about your weight, or it seems like your dad will never approve of your man, be cautious to not turn your concern into a snarky comment or attack. That will only propel the situation to another stratosphere. If you handle the issue as a mature adult, and don't revert to your childhood self, your family is in a position to respect your wishes.
- Choose your battles. Don't sweat the small stuff. If you're spending a few days with the fam, lots of little things will come up. If it's not that big of a deal for you to sleep in a separate bedroom than your boyfriend, and you know it would mean a lot to your family, just grin and bear it. If you choose your battles wisely, it will make such a difference when a real issue rears its head.
- Have compassion. Recognize that you should be giving thanks for your family that loves you! If you're going through a transitional time like starting a brand-new gig or moving across the country, chances are, they just want to feel connected to your new world. The only reason they're asking so many questions or offering tidbits of advice is because they're concerned about your well being. Coming to this realization will make only make you feel more grateful this Thanksgiving.
Any other tips for setting healthy boundaries this Thanksgiving? Chime in below.
Today, Anne Hathaway celebrates a milestone of a birthday — the actress turns the big 3-0! It's been a significant year for Anne, who just tied the knot with Adam Shulman in October. And after slipping into Catwoman's iconic catsuit in this Summer's blockbuster hit The Dark Knight Rises, Anne will be playing another beloved character, Fantine, in the latest film adaption of Les Misérables, out in December. In honor of the alluring actress's birthday, check out a few of our favorite Anne Hathaway characters and the lessons she's taught us through her films.
This Friday, Anne Hathaway slips into the iconic catsuit of Catwoman in The Dark Knight Rises. This third and final Christopher Nolan-directed Batman film is the latest of many movies about the caped crusader, going back to the 1966 adaptation of the '60s TV series. We couldn't resist looking back at some of our favorite female performances from the history of Batman films. Some are creepy supervillianesses while others are Bruce Wayne's love interests (or both!), but they all have one thing in common: they hold their own alongside Batman. Check out the girls of Gotham now!
Obama Hangs With the LA Galaxy, The Duchess Has a Perfect Spot, and The New French President Moves In
This week was booming with activities around the globe! Outgoing French leader Nicolas Sarkozy and first lady Carla Bruni welcomed the incoming President Francois Hollande and his partner, Valérie Trierweiler. In Windsor, the Duchess of Cambridge got some quality time with Prince William and Prince Harry, and in Japan, the Sanja Festival took over the streets of Tokyo. Back here in the US, President Obama hung out with David Beckham and the LA Galaxy. See that and more in the week in pictures!
What to Expect When You're Expecting hits theaters today. In honor of the film's release, we've gathered some quotes on life, love, and what it means to be a woman from the fabulous ladies who star in the film. From Jennifer Lopez to Cameron Diaz to Anna Kendrick, click through to check out what these amazing Hollywood A-listers have to say about life as a modern woman.
Today we said goodbye to the incomparable Donna Summer, the true queen of the disco era. Donna made a name for herself throughout the 1970s and 1980s with dance club anthems that always managed to get the party started — and still do today! In order to celebrate her career and the amazing woman she was, we're highlighting some of our favorite ladies of disco. Click through to check it all out.
As we push through to the end of the workweek, it's time for a quick breather: our weekly roundup of funny lady tweets. Some of our favorite comediennes have been sharing their thoughts all week long on everything from relaxation to food to fashion with their silly and awesome tweets this week. Click through to get your laugh on, and don't forget to follow TrèsSugar on Twitter!
It's almost the end of the school year! While we already highlighted celebrity ladies who graduated from college, we're celebrating the upcoming season with a list of hot Hollywood actors who went to college. While some graduated with a degree and others chose to focus on their acting careers, each has had their own academic journey. Time to click through, and check out all these collegiate cuties.
With Spring in full bloom, there was a lot happening all over the globe. Ahead of their one-year wedding anniversary, Kate Middleton and Prince William attended the African Cats premiere in London, while Michelle Obama fielded questions from lots of kids during the annual Take Our Daughters and Sons to Work event at the White House. Lady Gaga played the Olympic Stadium in Seoul, South Korea, and down under in Australia, some gorgeous fashions hit the runway in full force. Click through to see all that and more in the week in pictures!
Eden Wood Promotes Her Series, the First Lady Chows Down, and the Lingerie Football League Makes a Touchdown
We can't believe how much has gone on over the last seven days! The Obamas celebrated Easter with a big blowout for the annual White House Easter Egg Roll, while former pageant star Eden Wood was busy promoting her new series Eden's World. Across the pond, brave girls didn't let the rain spoil their fashionable fun at the Grand National race, and Down Under, lovely ladies from the Lingerie Football League promoted their teams. To see all that and more, click through this installation of the week in pictures!
It feels like we've been waiting forever, but Coachella has officially arrived! The festival has gotten so huge that this year it will span over two consecutive — each sold out! — weekends. While there are a ton of incredible acts to look forward to, we can't help but recognize the bevy of beautiful, talented, and fierce lady rockers who will grace the stage and are sure to put on kick-ass shows. Click through to find out why we think each of these 20 chicks will rock Coachella's world.
The weekend is nearly here, and there's no better way to push through a Thursday afternoon than with some of our favorite funny lady tweets of the week. Lena Dunham told us about her new boy band crush, Whitney Cummings spoke the truth about who has "won" Instagram, and Ellen alerted us about one of our favorite celebs who finally has a Twitter handle! Click through to get your giggle on, and don't forget to follow TrèsSugar on Twitter!
Spring is officially here, and the new season is the perfect time to set out on some new dating endeavors. If you're heading out with friends to enjoy the pleasant weather, complementing your girlfriend adventures with online dates can hopefully add to the springtime fun. If you feel like your profile isn't working, or if you're getting loads of messages you're not into, you're in luck. I've got you covered with five fresh ways to breathe new life into a tired online profile.
- Get a new picture. Forget a picture of just your face. I know you think it's your best, but a potential suitor is going to want to see what you're working with. Whether you're a teeny tiny lady or you're rocking some gorgeous curves, a head shot without a body shot is a little bit of a red flag. You've got to flaunt it, especially since one study found women who show off "controversial" traits like tattoos or an imperfect nose, get more attention. To make the whole thing feel a little more fun, think about inviting some friends over, get all dressed up, start shooting some new profile pictures, and then hit the town.
- Get real. This may seem super obvious, but please, don't lie. Why would you want to set strange or unrealistic expectations of who you are — or what you're not — before you've ever met someone in the flesh? Go back into your profile with a keen eye, and pretend that you have a red pen. Take out all the things that sound or feel inauthentic, and in their place, say what's real. Put in your age and occupation, if you have kids, and most importantly, what kind of relationship you're actually looking for. Not what you think some hot dude wants to hear.
- Get confident. No need to be super humble here. As strange as it seems, you're trying to sell yourself a little bit here, sister. And get a little sexy! If you're not getting the kinds of responses you want, try putting yourself out there a little more. Talk about the things you love, what you're good at, and what you're really looking for in a relationship.
Keep reading for two more ways to spruce up your dating profile.
Our favorite funny ladies like Aubrey Plaza and Samantha Bee have been making us laugh all week long via Twitter. With observations about everything from jorts (jean shorts) to J Lo, check out who was making us crack up in 140 characters or less. And don't forget to follow TrèsSugar on Twitter!
If you're in need of a little reboot, it's time to consider getting cozy on your couch and watching a super sad movie. A recent study from OSU found that watching a sad story actually makes people happier. The reason? After watching a tearjerker, people focus their attention on the positive aspects of their own lives. And there's no need to wait to get a DVD from your Netflix queue. We have a list of 20 tearjerkers that are available to stream instantly. Grab a pint of ice cream, a box of tissues or two, and with just one click, you'll be prepared to cry it out.
Last night at the Oscars Undefeated, a story about a football team at an underprivileged high school, took home the Oscar for Best Documentary. If you love learning, chances are you love documentaries. This past Summer we were treated to Gloria in Her Own Words, which chronicled icon Gloria Steinem's eventful life, but there are many more films about the triumphs of women. Some of these films follow women making their way through truly horrific situations, and others are lighter tales of self-made entrepreneurs or proponents of feminist creativity. Each of the women documented is powerful and inspiring in her own right. While I could probably compile a list of a hundred docs about women I admire and love, here are 10 I've recently come across that have made me re-examine the beauty and power of my gender.
The Grammy Awards are this Sunday, and the show is sure to wow with strong musical performances from women like Rihanna, Kelly Clarkson, and Nicki Minaj. There's something enchanting about the way a powerful female performer can command an audience with her emotional depth and vocal range. While good (or intriguing) looks don't hurt either, these women did not make a career by solely shaking their moneymaker on stage. They are rock 'n' roll chic and incredibly talented performers. Check out these 15 women who totally rock and learn why we love them. And share your favorite lady rockers in the comments!