Think twice before letting your lil ones indulge in their favorite snacks this Summer. Sunny days spent outdoors often lead families to the ice cream truck for respite from the heat and humidity, but those little treats add up. According to WebMD, without the structure of school programs, many tots don't get the physical activity they need to burn off the fat and calories their snacks pack in.
Trips to the beach, state fair and carnival offer up a buffet of unhealthy foods. Among the worst offenders are:
- Baskin Robbins' Reese's Peanut Butter Cup Sundae: 1,250 calories, 81 grams fat, 91 grams sugar.
- Cold Stone Creamery Dark Chocolate cone: 800 calories, 47 grams fat, 68 grams sugar.
- Fried macaroni and cheese: 572 calories, 33 grams fat, 1,840 milligrams sodium.
- Cherry Slurpee: 240 calories, 64 grams sugar.
- Corn dog and fries: 770 calories, 1,600 milligrams sodium.
For a look at more very sweet treats, read more.
- Fried dough: 360 calories, 20 grams fat.
- Dunkin Donuts Blueberry Muffin: 510 calories, 16 grams fat, 490 milligrams sodium, 51 grams sugar.
- Nestle Chocolate Chip Ice Cream Sandwich: 500 calories, 24 grams fat, 40 grams sugar.
- Lemonade: 198 calories, 51 grams sugar.
Do you throw the rules out the window in the Summer and let the kids dive into more unhealthy snacks than usual?