Baby showers are wonderful events, but they often result in a few gifts that parents will never use. Instead of passing them off to friends who are already overwhelmed with baby gear, consider donating them to Newborns in Need. Established in 1992, "Newborns in Need, Inc. (NIN) is a 501(c)3 charity organized to take care of sick and needy babies and their families; and in cases of crisis, to help where help is needed."
Clearly making a difference for wee ones in this world, NIN donated 557,970 baby items in 2007. The charity requests people to provide home-sewn goods for babies in need, or provide sewing supplies so volunteers can turn them into blankets, bibs, or other necessary items. Otherwise, they happily accept monetary donations or the following items. To see what they are, read more.
- Receiving blankets
- Bassinet Sheets
- Outfits — tops, bottoms, sets, clothing
- Burp cloths
- Diapers — disposable or cloth
- Bottles — all sizes and types
- Bottle liners
- Burial layettes — gowns, bonnets, blankets, and memorial items
- Comfort toys
- Booties, socks, and shoes
- Diaper bags
- Changing pads
- Baby hats
- Baby furniture — cribs, bassinets, changing tables, dressers, high chairs, and play pens