As the healthcare reform debate dies down, the country’s youngest citizens are one of the biggest beneficiaries of the new bill. Here are five ways the new legislation will help children.
- Beginning this year, insurance companies will be prohibited from denying coverage to children with pre-existing health conditions.
- Also beginning this year, insurance companies will no longer place lifetime caps on policies, or drop a patient if he gets sick.
- Insurance companies will be required to pay for preventive services, including medical procedures as vaccines recommended by the Centers for Disease Control.
- For parents of older kids, you will now be able to keep them on your insurance until they are 26-years-old.
- The Children's Health Insurance Program, which helps lower-income families, will be maintained in its current condition, even by states that are looking to cut costs.