According to UCSF Children's Hospital:
Circumcisions usually heal within 7 to 10 days. Until that time, sponge baths are recommended instead of immersion baths. Call your pediatrician:
- If the wound does not stop bleeding
- If your son does not have a wet diaper within 12 to 24 hours after the circumcision
- If the redness and swelling do not go away or get worse after three to five days
- If your son has a temperature greater than 37.5 C/ 100.0 F under the arm
- If you notice a foul odor
Most doctors also recommend swirling a generous amount of A&D ointment on the penis during diaper changes within this period.