Adapted from Smart Bites for Baby
Coconut Curry Pumpkin Soup From Zanzibar
1 tablespoon canola oil
1 tablespoon cumin
1 tablespoon tumeric
1 1/2 teaspoon ground ginger
1 teaspoon ground coriander
1 teaspoon ground cardamon
Salt and pepper, to taste
1 pound pumpkin, cut into chunks
1 cup coconut milk
8 cups chicken stock
- Wash and peel the carrots, and then cut them into small chunks. Cut the onion into small slices.
- In a pan, heat the oil and add the onion, and cook on medium heat until it becomes translucent, about 5-7 minutes.
- Add the spices and cook for 2-3 minutes.
- Add the pumpkin and carrots and saute for 5 minutes.
- Add the coconut milk, chicken stock, and the rest of the ingredients, and bring to a boil. Simmer and cook for 60-90 minutes, until the pumpkin and carrots become soft.
- Remove from the heat, and, using a hand mixer, blend/puree the soup until it becomes smooth and frothy.
- Serve warm with crunchy bread or a bowl of rice.