Rack-em and stack-em! When moms of two (or more) move their tots from crib to bed, maximizing space is essential. Bunk beds give each child his own space while providing endless play opportunities and opening up floor space.
Each year, 35,790 kids are involved in bunk bed-related injuries, with the majority of the victims under 6 years old. All parents should consider the following safety tips
- SafeSleep recommends reserving top bunks for tots over 6 years old.
- Buy the right sized mattress for the frame. Loose mattresses can lead to slips and falls.
- Install a fixed railing to the open side of the bed. Make sure the guardrail is at least 5-inches higher than the top of the mattress and that there is a less than 3-inch gap between the bed and the railing.
- Carefully choose where the bed will be situated. Placing it against a fixed wall to provide added support. Also avoid placing it under light fixtures, ceiling fans, and other overhead decor.
- Install a bright nightlight to provide your tots with help during middle-of-the-night wakings.
- Avoid beds with posts or hooks that children can get caught on overnight.
- Regularly check the bed to ensure that all screws are tight and nails are flat.
And for some fun bunk bed designs, check out our favorite options below.